Tuesday, September 20, 2011

More answers

I met with my own cardiologist today, just out of chance that my appointment was today.  After we talked about me, I asked him about Addison.  I asked him how many patients he saw at the adult age (he sees patients over the age of 18) with her problem, and he said not many.

When I told him that I couldn't bear the thought of killing my baby, he said, "Well, let's look at it in terms of opposites.  What's the opposite of killing?  Saving, right?  Are you saving your baby if you bring her to term?"  I said, "No....we'd be prolonging it."  He told me that our gut instincts were right and we should follow them.  He said that patients with congenital heart defects who face multiple surgeries often have physiological, emotional and psychological difficulties.

I was considering cancelling my appointment because I wasn't sure I wanted to go.  I'm glad I did.  He gave us more information, which is what we needed desperately.

No comments:

Post a Comment